Thursday, March 21, 2013

Thursday evening roundup and ramble

Anne Applebaum on South Africa.

David Remnick on the Bolshoi as a microcosm of Russia.

Confused gluten-eschewers make life more difficult and costly for actual Celiacs and others with legitimate gluten issues.

The Times reaches out to younger readers:
Snowflakes under a microscope look cool. Most of this other stuff looks gross (with a few exceptions).

I very much identify with this story on feminism and body image (not the orgy part, though). The bottom line is that it is okay to prefer to look a certain way. Acceptance is one thing and preferences are another. And it is true that you have to be okay with yourself to change yourself.

On a quasi-related note, I was talking to my dad the other night on Skype, and as usual, I directed the camera at Gracie. She is, after all, much more interesting to look at. At one point, she started rolling around and showcasing her belly. Dad said, jokingly--and with a lightness that is lost in translation--"aren't you ashamed? how are you not ashamed of that belly?"And as much as I don't love that belly--it's just not healthy--I love that Gracie has no shame about it. I mean, what's she going to do with shame?

Was there something else I was going to ramble about? It's all a blur. Oh, I can now tell you that I've sampled three vegan pizzas in the Chinatown area, and I declare District of Pi's the best. Busboys and Poets' is quite good, and Z-Pizza comes in third.

Since we're talking about pizza sampling and weight, I'll tell you that I've gained five pounds. I was trying to gain two or three and overshot, but it's all good (until it comes time to wear a swimsuit).

No comments: