Monday, March 25, 2013

Monday evening roundup

China's water is tragic.

Myanmar sees increasing ethnic violence resonant of the Balkans.

Wow, Ford (and India), that's one f*ed up ad. Someone thought that was okay?

A lot of men are not reading market signals.

Women are curvy by definition.

The case(s) against ethanol.

Metro's hydraulic leak mess may not be one-of-a-kind.

The White House cannot, apparently, be trusted with food safety.

Sigh. Who buys processed foods for their toddlers?

I have to sort-of agree with the base argument this guy is mocking. Fat is good. Just not animal fat. While we're making nuanced distinctions (and commenting on what not to feed to young children), "carbohydrates" are not the same thing as "refined sugars." Also: the science of eating (not specifically food).

As much as I enjoy some of the pretty sciency pictures, I'm one of those vegans who's not bothered about insects. Let's look at awesome science pictures that don't involve bugs: turquoise ice on Baikal. You can also learn about dinosaur sex and check out this adorable polar bear.

This article about how sometimes it's not best to follow your dreams is, true to the headline, liberating. And I love the (Buddhist) concept of detachment from outcomes. Which made me think of another fable--this time Hindu--that evoked my mom: the Saint and the Scorpion (I'm not suggesting I'm a saint, nor mom a scorpion). But it is useful to keep in mind that her abusive tendencies are not personal, have nothing to do with me; they are her dharma.

I'm not sure why, but this cartoon also struck a spiritual chord. On a related note: there is no need to openly disapprove of people's lifestyle choices and opinions (which is not to say that you have to agree with them).

No comments: