Sunday, March 3, 2013

Sunday evening roundup

Consumption of plant foods is good for the planet. Even less-meat-itarianism has a significant (positive) environmental impact.

Be wary of pop neuroscience. But enjoy these (mostly) fun science facts (the one about eyelash mites is not fun).

I'm slowly moving through my unread e-mails, most of which are daily words that I ignored for years. I started reading them regularly earlier this year, and I decided to go through the piled-up ones a couple of weeks ago. It's more time-consuming than it would seem, because I like to read the etymology (that's why I subscribe in the first place) and the quotes that Anu Garg tacks on. I recently came across this one, from Raymond Chandler:
There are two kinds of truth: the truth that lights the way and the truth that warms the heart. The first of these is science, and the second is art. Neither is independent of the other or more important than the other. Without art science would be as useless as a pair of high forceps in the hands of a plumber. Without science art would become a crude mess of folklore and emotional quackery. The truth of art keeps science from becoming inhuman, and the truth of science keeps art from becoming ridiculous. -Raymond Thornton Chandler, writer (1888-1959)
Just wanted to share that.

No comments: