Monday, March 11, 2013

Monday evening roundup

There are enough horrors in the Congo without exaggerating them--or exaggerating any one of them--which is counterproductive in the long run.

Someone came up with an app to reduce food waste.

This three-body orbiting thing makes my head hurt. And girls are still being turned off STEM.

My first reaction was, I wish I was in a place to submit something poignant to the Meet My Immigrant Mom Tumblr. Maybe I could think of something. Or maybe this blog is it.

On a brighter parenting note: I love, love coming across yet another contender for world's best dad.

Now, onto first-world problems: my commute this morning was a mess, but others had it much worse. I was partly saved by the fact that I had to be in earlier than usual--I was too late, but everyone was understanding. Anyway, here's how much worse things got later on.

Oh, I have an ethical dilemma regarding my daily chocolate habit: I'm thinking of going over from Trader Joe's pound-plus bars (72%, $.98/100 grams) to Trader Joe's "the dark chocolate lover's chocolate bar" (85%, $1.49/100 grams). It's tastier, more concentrated chocolate, and less sugar. I'd like to think it's also more ethically sourced. But here's the thing: the pound-plus comes in a single paper wrapper, where the smaller bar comes in two plastic-wrapped bars. That's a lot more plastic, given how much chocolate to eat. What's a sustainable eater to do?

[Update: Trader Joe's has discontinued the 85% bar, so I'm back to Pound Plus.]

No comments: