Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Wednesday morning roundup

The humanitarian response to the Syrian conflict is struggling.

A priceless quote from an amazing story of strength and perspective:
I reject the notion that my virtue is located in my vagina, just as I reject the notion that men’s brains are in their genitals.
If we take honor out of the equation, rape will still be horrible, but it will be a personal, and not a societal, horror. We will be able to give women who have been assaulted what they truly need: not a load of rubbish about how they should feel guilty or ashamed, but empathy for going through a terrible trauma.

On a lighter note: I love football players (who knew!) Take Chris Kluwe:
The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Chris Kluwe
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical Humor & Satire BlogVideo Archive

and Bret Lockett.

The vegan diet is rated third-best against diabetes. And I can assure you that it's really not that restrictive. Really. I feel like macrobiotics gets a bad rap here, even though I abandoned macrobiotics early on. I now take the flexitarian approach to macrobiotics: it's a great way to prioritize whole foods rather than processed foods and to focus on what you can eat rather than what you can't when you become vegan. That is very valuable. But you have to wonder about anything that keeps you away from fruit.

No comments: