Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Clever conversation

I have been known to serenade Gracie with "Baby Got Back," but tonight, for some reason, she inspired me to "Just the Way You Are":
I don't want clever conversation
I never want to work that hard
I [love] you just the way you are.
Note: this newfound tolerance/appreciation does not extend to my dating life. In dating, I do want clever conversation.

I dated a guy over the summer (late summer/early fall) that I tried really, really hard to like, but he bored me. The dude--nice as he was--had nothing to talk about. I bring this up because a friend who is committed to regularly advising me about dating thinks I should call him back. But I went out with him five times and there was zero chemistry and zero conversation unless I made all of it myself. How is that fair? Even I don't like to talk that much.

The irony was, this guy really liked cats (the compounded irony is said friend mistrusts men who likes cats). He kept asking me about Gracie, only he kept calling her "Tracie." I kept correcting him, but he kept calling her Tracie. That was the last straw.

No comments: