Thursday, January 17, 2013

Mmm, molasses

Ernessa, I absolutely love this "image" of the Higgs boson (or, rather, of markers of its debris). I was actually considering getting a Higgs boson watch since I'm having ongoing watch drama--and so I'm in the market for a new one--and because I have to pretend to understand physics for work, I thought I'd get something thematic. But there's a little too much going on in those moving hands. Same with this relativity watch. Either of those would probably horrify any actual physicist, and oddly enough, I have a few friends who fit into that category so I'd better not offend them with questionable imagery.

Speaking of physics, I was a bit disappointed with Lawrence Krauss's op-ed. I just felt like anyone could have written it, so why can't Dr. Krauss infuse some of his vast wisdom into the op-ed, like he did this summer. I did very much enjoy his video series from this summer, in which he expounds on the molasses metaphor and generally makes all the Higgs fuss vaguely understandable to the masses. And do check out his very recent "Higgs boson--what's next?" piece.

No comments: