Saturday, March 5, 2011

When it rains it really f*ing pours

My mother was really sweet when I told her about the vortex of endless home repairs that I've found myself in. She offered me money (I said 'no, thank you'). I mean, it would be one thing if I didn't actually have the money to pay for the home repairs; it's more that paying for the home repairs really puts a damper on my hobbies.

It was like this about two years ago, when I marveled at the highest credit card bill I'd ever managed to run up. I'd bought the house a few months before, and in addition to the astronomical hardware store bills, I'd just paid for a new washer and dryer and the associated plumbing, and a bunch of other work around the house. And the trip to Galapagos.

And that last one is not the only reason I'm not all 'woe-is-me' (or woe-is-I, apologies to Patricia T. O'Conner) about this. I knew what I was getting into when I bought the house, and it's all manageable--just annoying. I just paid for my trip and for a fence, and I'm about to pay for a tankless water heater. And then for some other work.

So, in lieu of cutting down on travel and theater, and of taking money from my parents, I'm *considering* taking in another renter.

I know what you're thinking: you said you'd never take in another roommate! Did I? I must have qualified it to say that you never know.

I'm just putting out feelers. I'm going to be a lot more careful this time (although I thought I was careful last time)--I'm actually advertising specifically for an airline employee or someone else who doesn't really live here, i.e. isn't going to be bringing friends to the house or otherwise partying. If nobody responds to that, so be it, but people put out those kinds of ads all the time, and there are people who respond to them, because there are people who need a place to crash a few times a week.

And I'll be fine if no one does respond (to be honest, part of me is hoping for it). When I mentioned this to mom, she asked whether I was considering a roommate because of the money. I asked her what she meant. She said--wait for it--"as opposed to companionship." Definitely money, definitely not companionship. She offered me money again (I told her that that was very sweet but that I was okay).

Do you know what it really is? Once you start getting things done around the house, you start to say, 'f* it, I want this and this done, too.' Now, I need to be realistic and remind myself that it's going to take a lot of roommate rent checks before I'll be able to put solar panels on the roof... but it would take a lot longer without those checks. It's just something to throw out there, in case there is someone out there looking for the room and the roommate situation I have to offer. If not, I'm more than happy to have the house to myself.

No comments: