Thursday, March 24, 2011

Thursday morning roundup

Rural America is changing in demographics, expectations, and divorce rates.

Is coexistence a possibility for organic farmers and pushers of genetically engineered foods?

A century of meet: the infographic.

What would normally be a lighter note: a slideshow of DC's cherry blossoms over the years. It's bittersweet to see the sakura in bloom. If you look at my travel notes from Japan, I wrote a lot about the trees (why did I take so many pictures of trees? how can trees possibly be that exciting?). I look up, as I write this, to see one of my favorite sakura pictures, propped up in my living room: Sakura is so symbolic: fleeting beauty, the coming of spring. Perhaps for that reason, the cover of this week's New Yorker viscerally upset me. I flipped it over and turned my attention to this sakura picture, taken in front of the A-Dome in Hiroshima. At the time, it struck me as a representation of life and renewal in the aftermath of disaster. That's the framework through which I'm determined to process the images of the sakura all around.

Speaking of life and renewal, it's time to start planting. I'm on it!

No comments: