Monday, March 7, 2011

Phone call

Mom, unbeknownst to herself, contributed a key data point to my exploration of how some of her antics are painful and others, just annoying. She flat-out called me a bitch.

Very matter-of-factly, too. And the Russian word, 'styerva,' is much ruder.

It didn't bother me that much.

She asked about the roommate search. I told her where I stood. I told her I was taking precautions so as not to repeat the last roommate debacle.

Mom: That poor guy. He was so friendly. And you're just a bitch.
A.: If having boundaries and making a point to enforce them is 'being a bitch,' I whole-heartedly embrace that label.
Mom: Well, to tell you the truth, that kind of thing would have bothered me, too.
A.: It would have bothered a saint (not that I am one).

We let it go at that.

No comments: