Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Wednesday evening roundup

Tom Vilsack perpetuates the Real America horse$hit in a logic-challenged defense of agricultural subsidies.

Martha Rose Shulman highlights vegan recipes in honor of Lent. They all look good, but this wheatberries with winter squash sounds amazing. I'm glad she featured the carrots and lentils in olive oil--I was a bit worried after this post, which I actually find incomplete in a lot of ways, although the Grist piece that brought it to my attention is worse. There are a lot of ways to consider the nutritional value of oils, besides the mono/poly unsaturated factor. There's the issue of antioxidants, and there's the issue of flavor. On that last one, there's nothing like a good olive oil. I'm still savoring my Olave--in fact, I just bought another bottle. That stuff is so good I could practically drink it.

No comments: