Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Wednesday morning roundup and response to comment

Hey guys, I'm scrambling because I woke up late/didn't sleep well because I made the mistake of calling mom before going to bed, and got riled up by a conversation to personal on someone else's behalf to relay here. So this is going to be quick.

On corn, is sweet corn as prone to being genetically modified as feed corn? I need to look into that. And I reiterate: if you're concerned about corn and soy, and you eat factory-farmed meat, please be aware that you're probably consuming more of both through your meat than directly.

On that note, please see Mark Bittman's column on getting agricultural subsidies right.

Coke is acquiring Honest Tea.

Western lobbyists are thinking twice about working for murderous regimes.

How corporate tax cuts can hurt states.

Police forces turn to volunteers to help with the workload. It's kind-of working in Britain.

How inherently subjective are performance reviews?

If fashion isn't fluff, fashion bears responsibility. I wonder with Galliano's fall from Grace whether Kate Moss will still have him design her wedding dress.

Sakura Matsuri will now charge a fee. But a style note: even I know that 'matsuri' means festival, so could we stop saying "Sakura Matsuri festival"? I've actually never gone, lately because I haven't been in town for it. Didn't miss much last year, since we were hitting peak sakura everywhere in Japan.

Mmmm, Persian food.

No comments: