Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Tuesday evening ramble

I feel a little better--the guy who came all the way down here in the pouring-down rain on Sunday found another place to live. For those of you not in the area, it rained insanely hard on Sunday. It was ridiculous. It made for some of the scariest road conditions I'd encountered in a while--particularly because it's not like the motorists on 95 can be bothered to turn their lights on or drive carefully--and also some pretty ill-timed walking. The stylist did wonders with my hair, but it was all for naught after a few minutes outside (even in a hooded jacket). But I digress.

I talked to my parents on Sunday evening (hence the 'bitch' conversation). I kept hoping my parents would provide some sort of guidance about the water heater, their being electric engineers and all, but no. I think I've told you before that my dad is simultaneously very smart and very slow on the uptake. Perfect example:

A.: So, did you look at any of the stuff I sent you?
Dad: Yeah--I definitely think you should replace your water heater.
A.: I am definitely replacing my water heater. Do you think it's worth it to get the condensing model?
Mom: The what? What's the difference?
A.: I'm asking you. You're the engineers.
Dad: That's the kind of heater, like we talked about. Like the ones in Russia. Yeah, get one of those.
A.: [Sigh] The type of heater is tankless. I am definitely getting a tankless heater. Within the category of tankless heaters, there is an uber-efficient category called condensing heaters. They're also said to be safer. I sent you a brochure on them.
Dad: Yeah, I looked at it, but there wasn't a lot of engineering explained.
A.: The guy kind of explained it to me. There are two things, and the exhaust from one heats the other, so it's more efficient.
Mom: Two things? What things?
A.: Whatever heats the water. Those things.
Mom: ??
A.: You're the engineers!!
Mom: I don't know.
A.: Never mind. I think I'm going to get a condensing model.

***
I'm also thinking very seriously about solar. I figured out how many watts I use in a year, and it's not that much. I guess the question is, do I cover the entire roof with panels, because it's there, flat and unobstructed, at a higher up-front cost? It's difficult to figure out what that cost might be--I've read everything from $8,000 (manageable with all the credits, rebates, etc.) to $30,000 (f* that). From what I understand, the City of Alexandria actually lets you deduct materials and installation from your property taxes if you install solar, which is pretty f*ing amazing.

***
I have a new identity, and I love it: I am a fruit fly.

Jason "learndeded it" from "1 girl, 5 gays" on Logo channel. Apparenlty, it's not pejorative like 'hag'--doesn't have that connotation of lacking confidence and seeking it from gays--but it's more "a lady who will defend the gays..." Do you hear that? That makes me a lady.

No comments: