Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Tuesday evening roundup

The mining industry is well practiced at fighting regulation and compromising the safety of its workers.

Ezra Klein and Dave Brooks are concerned with the government's investment deficit.

A map of how North Americans talk.

It is SO important to keep travelers informed. When I was traveling during Snowpocalypse last year, American called me to let me know whenever a flight was canceled, and automatically rebooked me. United, on the other hand, went as far as letting me *check in* to a flight that had been canceled.

A ten-year-old girl discovers a supernova. Take that, Mattel: whom are you going to sell your 'math is hard, let's go shopping' Barbie to now?

Americans are buying organic food.

Great concept, but 'whole wheat' rice? Time employs editors, right?

A must-see slideshow from Grist. If you ask me, the whole-chicken-in-a-can wins the prize, but let me know what you think. See Grist's other most popular posts of 2010.

I was telling a coworker about my favorite self-help book--he said 'you can't squeeze blood from a turnip,' which reminded me of 'don't ever shop for kiwis in a shoe store.' So I searched on the book and came across this other gem that I thought I'd share:
You--and those you've befriended/worked with/slept with--each of you--just like plants--comes with your own unique feeding manual. You must read each person's instruction manual carefully--then proceed with caution!
Adam Gopnik's essay, "The Truth about Snowflakes," is really beautiful.

1 comment:

Tmomma said...

too funny on the whole wheat rice...rice as a first food is really sort of nasty. it doesn't taste good at all, at least the dried baby food crap you buy. we did veggies first and they both enjoyed them and skipped the rice yuckiness all together. we much preferred to give them the closest to real food as possible.

the last quote you have is so true!