Saturday, January 29, 2011

How Friday turned tragicomic

I took yesterday off. The last two weeks of work--including this weeks trip--were very intense, and I had things to do. Like submit my visa application, to an office in Georgetown (not near any metro, because decades ago, area residents opposed having a metro stop, arguing it would bring in the rif raf). So I went first thing in the morning--walked through the snow, stood in line, dropped off the application... walked to the Kennedy Center because a friend had mentioned that we should go see Alvin Ailey. Got the last two tickets under $99 each, walked back to the metro... discovered my SmartTrip card was shot, would have to get another one--although they let me through to get home.

Not half an hour after getting home, got a call from the visa place, saying they needed another document... that I had with me this morning but they didn't ask for. So I had a quick lunch and schlepped back, by way of King Street, because I needed a new SmartTrip. Finally got there, walked back to Rosslyn--which had some beautiful, clean ice sheets that I snapped with my phone--will post the pictures later. On my way down the Rosslyn escalator, which is formidable, felt a pain in my left knee. Continued to wobble down the escalator, waited 12 minutes for a train during rush hour, got home... just in time to briefly do a few things and scan the Express, before I had to leave for girls' night. Decided I would drive, on account of my leg. Scanning the Express, I saw that Dar Williams would be performing on Sunday, so I called Marisa, noted that if she were game, we could repeat the triple-whammy weekend of two Mays ago, when we saw each other three days in a row. She was game, so I stopped at the box office on the way to dinner, got tickets. (Yes, that does make for Stomp today, Dar tomorrow, and Alvin Ailey on Tuesday). Drove a bit down, found parking just as she called. I said go ahead and find a restaurant, then call me and I'll meet you guys. So I approached the Courthouse metro on foot, only to realize I'd left my phone in the car. Schlepped back, got phone, found out where they were having dinner. And here's the best part: walked around for the better part of the next hour trying to find the place. All because I'd driven--because I didn't want to walk--whereas if I'd metro'd, I'd have just met them at the metro. It was awesome.

Anyway, time to get a head start on my crazy day. Have a great Saturday!

No comments: