Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sunday morning roundup

Shehrbano Taseer writes that we haven't seen the last of his father's legacy.

Djenné residents, who haven't shared in the benefits of their town's World Heritage Site designation but find their living conditions mired in the 16th century because of it, are fed up. Meanwhile, Nepal rolls out the welcome mat for high-spending gay tourists. And in Dallas, strip clubs are a thriving industry.

Don't you love people who are anti-government, yet pro-farm subsidy?

Why the South tried to secede.

David Cole takes a crack at a Constitution for our time.

What stood out for me in the rauncy video controversy, especially throughout the discussions of morale, was the "f* you if you're offended by this." How is that good for morale, cohesion, etc.?

I'm so happy to post this interview about the China study. Of course, I'm especially partial to this part:
I was raised on a dairy farm. I milked cows. I went away to graduate school at Cornell University, and I thought the good old American diet is the best there is. The more dairy, meat and eggs we consumed, the better. The early part of my career was focused on protein, protein, protein. It was supposed to solve the world’s ills. But when we started doing our research, we found that when we start consuming protein in excess of the amount we need, it elevates blood cholesterol and atherosclerosis and creates other problems.
But equally important is the emphasis on whole foods:
The problem is that we study one nutrient out of context. That’s the way we did research — one vitamin at a time, one mineral, one fat. It was always in a reductionist, narrowly focused way... We should not be relying on the idea that nutrient supplementation is the way to get nutrition, because it’s not. I’m talking about whole, plant-based foods. The effect it produces is broad for treatment and prevention of a wide variety of ailments, from cancer to heart disease to diabetes.

There may be a Part II roundup--haven't read the Travel or Arts sections yet, and this roundup is already late. I got distracted by researching steam mops, and I'm still kind of confused. So let me know if you have any personal steam mop experiences to share.

***
Update--I've almost never found anything worthwhile in the Post's mysteriously award winning Travel section (or am I mixing the award-winning part up with its equally useless Food section?), but I was hopeful this morning when I saw a series of articles about traveling alone. The one about street harassment is quite good, but the others are blah.

1 comment:

Tmomma said...

not related to this post but I wanted to let you know i've really enjoyed a red lentil soup recipe i came across and when i unsoup it, it's even better. i'll have it for lunches this week and both kids like it as well. also, i made roasted veggie quinoa today and it came out great. my oldest really likes it too. just need the little one to try it, but i need to do it at home under our supervision just in case he's allergic. anyway, just thought I'd pass along these successes. i really love the quinoa and i'm thinking it must have a lot of potential for lots of different recipes. think i can make it in my rice maker?