Sunday, January 9, 2011

Response to comment/Sunday evening ramble

I love quinoa, have a few great recipes for it. I think it goes really well with stir-fries, generally. I actually made some this weekend to go with a curry, and it absorbs the sauce really well. NYT's Well blog had a handful of recipes a while back, and also see this quinoa with Thai flavors, which doesn't even have peanuts!

Since it cooks so quickly, don't bother with a rice cooker. Just combine 1 part quinoa to two parts water, with whatever seasonings, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and let simmer 15 minutes. I'm not an expert on rice cookers but I've never really gotten the point--rice doesn't require that much attention--you just set it and leave it for the right amount of time.

I don't have any quinoa pictures, but check out the salad and also the wild rice with kinpira and baby bok choy. I love, love, love wild rice. It's not an ideal vehicle for foods with sauces (like curries and stir fries), but it works beautifully with more distinct ingredients.




***
This Is-It-Real-Food flowchart is awesome-in-theory, but it's not right (in various senses of the word) that dairy gets an automatic 'okay' whereas grains, nuts, and legumes are left off (i.e., they require special scrutiny). Dairy products are more likely to have additives (you'd be amazed), although watch out--I've seen roasted peanuts with added maltodextrin.

***
Not that you care--but you may, if you're in the market for a steam mop--I ended up going with the Bissell Steam Mop Deluxe. I was originally thinking of the vacuum/mop combination, but the number-one complaint for that one--that the vacuum keeps the mop from reaching the wall by a few inches--was a deal-breaker. Euro-Pro was more expensive, with more complaints. I just steam-mopped, and none of the big complaints materialized--my floors were not soaking wet, not did they take ages to dry. And holding down the trigger for steam was not an issue. There is some streaking on the hardwood downstairs, but that's happened every time I've mopped, and it's actually less noticeable this time around. Anyway, I'm just saying, it's worked well so far.

No comments: