Saturday, January 15, 2011

Saturday evening ramble (with response to comment)

I was so upset about the fence quote that I needed to do something therapeutic, like go shopping. What? I didn't have time for a bike ride and I needed to get food anyway, so why not get some clothes on the way?

It was a beautiful day, and for the first weekend day in ages I was neither exhausted, sick, or both. It was a lovely day for a walk. I walked and fumed.

I should clarify--I've fixed it in the original post--it's actually thirty, not twenty, feet of fencing. It's also more expensive because it's metal picket (aluminum), and that quote includes labor. Still, it's a lot. So I got myself a dress at Ann Taylor. And then a shirt at Banana (almost got a dress, too--one that I would actually wear to work--but it didn't fit perfectly). What I really needed was a suit or two, but I didn't find one I liked. Anyway, then I went to the thrift store and went to town (two sweaters, one (new) pair of pants, and one fierce (in Jay's words, when I walked into the bar in it) cherry-red coat).

By the way, I love gay bars--why do they not have show tunes and Wonder Woman clips in straight bars? I'd come straight from Magic, which was good--I'd passed, on the way, a building with flowers and pictures arranged outside the grounds, with a few people gathered, and saw that it was the Embassy of Tunisia. It was still a nice night, but there weren't a lot of people around, especially for Dupont on a Saturday. The bar wasn't crowded, at least not yet, and I was ever so grateful for DC's smoking ban. I could have stayed a few more hours, except there was the matter of the hungry cat waiting for me, and I was, by then, exhausted, and also buzzed from two sips of Jay's drink. I'd joke about being 33 going on 70, but I've always been this way--early to bed, early to rise--but also wife, not hag: it was time to leave the gay bar to the gays.

No comments: