Thursday, January 27, 2011

Thursday evening roundup

The Economist debates natural gas vs. renewables.

Collins on guns.

Rabbis against nazi-related rhetoric.

I will miss The Minimalist, but I'll look forward to Mark Bittman's other columns, especially if he continues to share wisdom like this, which appeared in the above-linked goodbye column:
My growing conviction that the meat-heavy American diet and our increasing dependence on prepared and processed foods is detrimental not only to our personal health but to that of the planet has had an impact on my life and on that of the column... In part, what I see as the continuing attack on good, sound eating and traditional farming in the United States is a political issue.
On that note: support organic farming--contact your elected representatives.

***
I can say with minimal sarcasm that whoever invented noise-canceling headphones should be in the running for the Nobel Peace Prize. On the flight back, they blocked out most of the screaming kids, most of the time. They were not powerful enough, unfortunately, to block out a twenty-minute or so conversation between the guy sitting behind me and another guy who came up to talk to him. In German. It wasn't pretty (but it was loud).

***
I watched "Easy A," and it was actually a lot of fun. It's sort of "Saved" meets "Mean Girls" (and I've heard the second "Mean Girls," which was not written by Tina Fey, is quite bad).

No comments: