Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Reputation

Apparently I have a reputation for being a bit accident prone.

Several weeks ago

Allen: Can you recommend a doctor in the area? I think I've hurt my wrist.
A.: I can, but I don't think we have the same health plan. Why don't you check with [a friend], I think he also has Blue Cross.
Allen: He... he hasn't necessarily been to the doctor recently for something like this. I mean... you...
A.: I'm more accident prone?
Allen: Yeah.

Earlier tonight

Just before Gina called to discuss plans for getting together over the next couple of days, I had brought my laptop upstairs and plugged it into the outlet by my bed. Then my phone rang, and I realized the battery was very low, so I answered but plugged it in right away. Since I wanted it near my bed, I removed the cord for the laptop and went to plug it in on the other end of the room, but it didn't quite reach. Gina and I had already started talking, but I was still trying to get everything plugged in to the right outlets.

A.: Hi, Gina.
Gina: Hi...
A.: OH CRAP...
Gina: What??
A.: Oh, nothing...

I started to say a shortened version of, "I broke my power supply because my laptop fell (blame Gracie) and the power supply where it plugs into the computer broke the fall, so I ordered a new one but rather than pay $70 for a replacement, I ordered a compatible but not quite right power supply on e-bay for $10 plus shipping, and it works, but it's a bit shorter than the original one, so it doesn't reach that other outlet as easily."

A.: I broke...
Gina, in a horrified tone: Oh, no!
A.: Oh, nothing like that! Not a bone or anything... just the power supply to my laptop...
Gina, relieved: Oh, good! With you, you never know.

That last part could come off a bit snarky, but it was said without a trace of snideness. It was just matter-of-fact. And in her defense, she was there ten years ago... just about now actually... just a room away in the same apartment in Geneva, when I sprained my ankle by standing on my bed to reach something on a bookshelf and falling off (don't laugh; it was painful, and I never did learn to ski that year).

***
Over IM, later tonight

Gina: I have your trifle bowl and parchment paper, they're going in my car right now. me: I have your stuff in a box. I'm not putting it in my car because it might get broken into, but I'll put it in there before I leave.
Gina: "I'm not putting it in my car because it might get broken into..."
lol. I know people are vying for that garlic press...
me: you never know what people steal
goodnight
Gina: Night. See you tomorrow.
me: see you tomorrow
oh do you want more pecans?
Gina: Sure.
Gina: You're still selling those???
me: (I only have plain left)
Gina: Plain is what I need. I make that Tangy Pepper Pecan Brie at almost all my shows now!
me: awesome
Gina: How long does this sale go on for?
me: until they're sold
usually I'll buy up any that are left if it's just a few bags, but I'm trying to cut back. pecans are kind of a no-no...
Gina: I guess I'll take two bags. That should tide me over for a while. Although Andy does want me to make another pecan pie...
me: otherwise I put them in salad, etc.
last year I sold them all
wow, you're awesome
Gina: How many do you have left?
me: three
Gina: I'll take three, then.
me: you're about to be my favorite person ever. you're solving my pecan problem
Gina: lol
Well, that sounds good to me!
me: yay! mutually beneficial transaction
Gina: Well, we're getting a lot out of this trip.
me: we are
Gina: Exactly.
Okay, goodnight! Andy will be happy to hear I'm stocking up on pecans.
me: goodnight!
feel better
Gina: I will
Once more, goodnight!
me: goodnight!
me: at one point I will do a statistical analysis and calculate the average amount of goodnights at the end of our chats
Gina: Be sure to put that in your blog.
Gina: Goodnight.
me: goodnight.

No comments: