Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Care of the soul

I've been thinking a lot about work lately. More disturbingly, I've been obsessing about work and how egregious certain things are, which is really too bad, because there's so much good, too, and it shouldn't be overshadowed. My point is, changing jobs will be good for my soul in many ways, primarily in that I'll be doing something I can consistently believe in, but also in that I'll start with a clean slate in terms of office politics.

I know that every office has politics, but I also know that the intensity, nature and level of venom varies tremendously.

Let me reiterate, lest you believe my mother, that I am not at constantly at odds with people at work. That is not the problem. It's just that I feel like I am not as good a person as I want to be, because of the thoughts and habits I have about people at work now. I mean, there's something wrong with the way I can't wait to dish to a colleague or two about what an idiotic thing someone said or did. I am not that person. I don't want to be that person. And I know that's a work-on-me-first issue, that changing the environment is not going to fix it, but I really believe that changing the environment is going to help me fix me, because the environment I'm in now is toxic.

***
Answering people's questions about where I'll be working has elicited some interesting reactions, from, "Oh, those people??" to "That's a perfect fit for you. They do God's work there.*" My favorite comment was, "I know someone who worked there but left because he hated it. He found their analytical process to meticulous."

Another sign that it is the perfect fit for me, because I kind of like the concept of not being able to pull conclusions out of one's posterior.


*The owner of that comment has worked for two Secretaries of State.

No comments: