Monday, January 21, 2008

Idée fixe

I was thinking about how I hadn't heard from Nina in a while, which got me thinking about how Mom touted her as an example of being successful through following one's own path. Which is all true with regard to Nina, but hypocritical as for touting herself as always believing that everyone should follow her own path, especially when she adds that she's always supported my paths. It's actually really, really funny when you consider the extent to which she hasn't, to which she's actively and relentlessly argued against just about everything I've ever wanted to do... but it's not her support, or lack thereof, that is the topic of this post; it's the relentlessness. Furthermore, it's the way she'll get something into her head and not let go.

That, too, is not new, not surprising, but it's especially funny, I think, given that night that she kept on talking about how the 'urine hit my head.' Meaning, something occurred to me and I wouldn't let it go. The idée fixe of which she accused me wasn't another person's career, vacation, wardrobe, etc.; rather, I outlandishly wanted to spend the evening with my friends, one of whom lived an ocean away, and outlandishly wanted to get there without one of those friends having to drive me there and back. For this, I got several "when the urine hits you over the head"s. How does that work??

No comments: