Sunday, January 6, 2008

Indistinct blur

I'm lazy and my phone is downstairs, otherwise I would use exact times... but estimations will have to do.

I'm not going to bore you again with how crazy busy I've been since I got back to DC, but suffice to say, I've been plenty crazy busy. Mom called me on Friday night-- and to her credit didn't ask, in her message, where I could possibly be. When I called her back, she asked me to look for something I might have in the house. I said I likely wouldn't get to it for a few days.

Mom called again just before 1pm today. I didn't pick up, as I was with some friends. Within minutes of the call, I went down to the metro platform. I was not about to retrieve the message then and there; metro timing on a Sunday is not something you mess with.

Half an hour later, just as I got off the metro, mom called again.

Mom: Why haven't you called?
A.: I just got off the metro. I haven't even retrieved your message yet.
Mom: I got a letter from the Attorney General about Verizon... this is your fault because of what you put in the letter...
A.: Mom, write the address on the bill.
Mom: What address on the bill?
A.: The one I pointed out to you, and separately, dad. MA Communications Board or something.
Mom: What do they have to do with anything?
A.: As I've said many times, they will make the bills go away.
Mom: But...
A.: Don't you want the bills to go away? Don't you want the collections agency off your back? You've already written the AG out of principle. Now just find that address on your bill and write to them.

Like applying to Google, the Verizon saga has become an indistinct blur to me. It's like the tune-out that men do when women talk about shoes. I've included it here just for continuity, but it bothered me less than the fact that mom called me half an hour within leaving a message, to ask why I hadn't returned her call. I mean, why is it not obvious that I hadn't returned her call, because I was not in a position to return her call?

No comments: