Friday, January 18, 2008

I also have a low tolerance for treachery

Our last meeting ended in time for us to head to the North Shore for a few hours to look at the thirty-foot waves we'd been hearing about. We didn't see any of those, but we did see a row of basking sea turtles. There were three when we got there, than another laboriously made its way out of the water and onto the sand. They were beautiful, and I stupidly did not have my camera. G. took a picture with his camera phone and will hopefully be able to transfer it to a computer.

It was great to see the water, even to see the mountains on the way to the water. Being there made me wonder why I'd tried so hard to get out of the trip-- what was I thinking? Even on a work level, i.e. interacting with the people I actually work for, it's been the highlight of my job.

We brainstormed potential replacements for my job, considering pros and cons. I was struggling to articulate tactfully the con for one person, when G. said, "peculiar demeanor." This would shock my mother, but the job I have been doing actually requires people skills. On that note, I expressed wariness about another person based on a certain brusqueness, bringing about the following conversation:

G.: I don't know about that.
A.: I'm not saying it's a dealbreaker, but it's something to keep in mind.
G.: I have to tell you, when you were first chosen to work on this, several people came to tell me that you were impatient, etc., but that hasn't materialized...
A.: Let me guess: M.
G.: M. was one, I'd rather not say...
A.: Which is kind of funny because I hadn't worked with him before I'd worked with you... I'll also venture R. Who else warned you that I'd be a pain in the ass?
G.: I would really rather not say, and it wasn't that negative. There was M. but also a couple of people who like and respect you.
A.: Well then they shouldn't go around warning future teammates about me based on their perceptions of my personality. [Yes, I suppose that's what we were doing as well, but that was in choosing someone, not sabotaging them].
G.: It wasn't negative... it was just an FYI that, for example, you have a very low tolerance for incompetence.
A.: Well, I hope those people are happy that I'm moving on to a place where low tolerance for incompetence is a good thing.

No comments: