Monday, January 14, 2008

Metro friends

A., taking the projector out of the car: This thing took up half the space in my luggage. As a result I only brought two suits. I'll have to (gasp!) repeat outfits.
G.: I guarantee that only one person will notice, and that's your metro friend in [a department].

G. was referring to Steve. Steve, even with his buzz cut and (jumping) wings-adorned uniform, earned the nickname 'metro' through his awareness and appreciation of fashion. He's a fan of Project Runway and was thinking about getting his wife a copy of Tim Gunn's Guide to Style... so he could read it. I was able to run by him the decision of traveling with my lesser Perry Ellis messenger bag (and discuss how much Perry Ellis' solo, post-Gucci career hasn't lived up to expectations) vs. my preferred DVF bag (out of a desire to keep it from getting scuffed... although I'm over it; the DVF is with me on this trip). And he appreciates the significance of DVF (Diane Von Furstenberg's line for the masses). To give you an idea of how unusual this is, see below the conversation I had with some colleagues last spring as we were looking for a place to have dinner in Honolulu.

A.: Wow, I've never seen so many high-end designers in one mall! Look at this! Gucci, Escada, Donna Karen...
C.: Yeah, if it doesn't end in -Mart, it doesn't really mean anything to me.
A.: I don't see Diane Von Furstenberg...
C.: Who?
A.: Diane Von Furstenberg... fashion pioneer... she invented the wrap dress!
C.: The wrap dress had to be invented?
A.: Who shops here?
G.: Japanese tourists with money to burn.
C.: What does that store even sell [pointing to Harry Winston]? Furniture?
A.: Diamonds.
C.: I wouldn't have guessed that.

Anyway, Steve and I remain friends (even though I suggested he might be tripping when he really did see kangaroos) and the fourth season of Project Runway is growing on us.

No comments: