Tuesday, January 1, 2008

When the urine hits one over the head...

Heather, who is visiting from London, and Jay invited me over for Trivial Pursuit.

A.: Could I just borrow the car?
Mom: And drive over there yourself? In the dark?
A.: I used to live one neighborhood away from there.
Mom: No. I can drive you. Ask them to drive you back.
A.: I don't want to. I need to call them anyway, see if they're back. I'll figure something out then.

A few minutes later

Mom: Have you called?
A.: Not yet. I'm not due there for another three hours.


A few minutes later

Mom: Have you called them?
A.: Not yet.

I have in the past, on these pages, documented my mother's reluctance to loan me her car. I didn't want her to drive me to Worcester and back, but at least she was willing to do so, as she was hesitant to loan me the car. In this case, she won't loan me the car, and expects Jay to chauffeur me.

I called Jay, apprised him of the situation. He graciously offered to pick me up on his way home (they had gone skiing in NH). I asked mom.

Mom: Sure! As long as I don't have to make two trips there and back.
A., to Jay: Mom agrees.
Jay: Cool, I'll turn around.
A.: Were you already going the other way?
Jay: It's no problem. We'll be there in half and hour or so.

A few minutes later

Mom: How am I going to find his house at night? That neighborhood is full of one-way streets...
A.: Actually, his address is pretty straightforward... you would go as you did to get to my old address in Dorchester...
Mom: I don't remember!
A.: The page is open on Google maps on the computer.
Mom: I'll be getting lost at night...
A.: Then just lend me the car.
Mom: This is all wrong! I should have driven you there, with you instructing me...
A.: You agreed to the other way around...Jay's already turned around.
Mom: It all happened so fast. From out of nowhere, you came up with this arrangement.
A.: We made these plans this morning, and I asked you when Jason offered to pick me up.
Mom: When [get ready for this Russian expression] the urine hits you over the head, that's it, you're determined.
A.: Let me remind you that you agreed to this.
Mom: You didn't give me a chance to think.

Sure. I should have asked Jay to pull into the breakdown lane so she could think about it.

I'm showing dad the directions online, printing them out. He remembers how to get to my old house.

Mom, walking into the room: When the urine hits you over the head...
A.: Would you stop it with the urine??
Mom: I'm going to get lost.
A.: Dad remembers the way.
Mom: Of course he doesn't!
Dad: Yes I do.
Mom: When the urine...
A.: Mom! Look, if you don't want to pick me up, let me borrow the car!
Mom: No! I'll pick you up.

No comments: