Saturday, October 27, 2007

She means well

Saturday morning

A., in barely a voice: Hello.
Mom: How are you feeling?
A.: Not well.
Mom: Huh. Well, I don't think you got it from me. Colds aren't contagious; flus are contagious.
A.: Of course colds are contagious.
Mom: In any case, it's good for you. Colds are healthy. Make that milk-honey concoction to soothe your throat. Of course, you don't have honey...
A.: I have honey. [I don't have milk, though].
Mom: Do you need me to come down? Do you have someone who can bring you things?
A.: I'm fine. I don't need anything. [What I need is to not be talking].
Mom: Listen, call Michael. He'll tell you all about Istanbul.
A.: I already told you, I am not talking to anyone right now!
Mom: Poor thing, do you have a temperature?
A.: I don't think.
Mom: When are you going, what date?
A.: Please check the itinerary.
Mom: Okay, fine, rest. But having colds is healthy, your system has to learn to fight it.

No comments: