Saturday, October 20, 2007

Mom as fashion police

"I just don't understand how a person can have no understanding of how to dress," mom said about what I've put on to wear to the rehearsal dinner, as she pulls out a little black dress with a fishnet layer and a sequiny blue print for me to wear instead.

A.: I'm not wearing that.
Mom: At least wear this on top [pulling out a light green sweater.
A.: No, I'm wearing this.
Mom: How? How can you have no sense of taste? That outfit is just awful. Nothing about it works. That skirt is awful.

Okay, I'm the first to admit that this is not the most thought-out thing I've ever worn; it was chosen as the thinnest possible combination of pieces, as I'll be going straight from the airport to a meeting and want little to carry. Still, it may not be fashion forward or brilliant, but it's safe and acceptable. It's a light black cardigan over a thin dark red skirt. How bad can that be?

Mom: That just looks awful.

No comments: