Friday, October 26, 2007

Ah, a tame, standard mom blog

The context: My cold has gotten progressively worse and my throat more sore. I've been up since 3am, and got home from work about an hour ago, so when mom called, I was in the middle of putting stuff away and I wanted to get things sorted before talking on the phone.

[Phone rings].
A.: Hi! Can I call you back in five to ten minutes?
[Nothing]
[Click]
A.: Hello? Hello?

Ten minutes later

Mom: So? Why haven't you called?
A.: For starters, I don't have much of a voice.

Mom starts listing herbal remedies. I wonder whether to tell her that what would really make me feel better would be to stop talking, but I'm reminded that in the past, I've flat out said, "can we not have this conversation right now, my throat hurts?" and she's continued to ask questions or demand justifications.

A.: Did you get my itinerary?
Mom: Yeah. When are you going? November?
A.: December.
Mom: How long are you going for?
A.: Ten days. Could you check the itinerary? My throat hurts.
Mom: You know, Jane went to Turkey.
A.: Great-- could you ask her for suggestions?
Mom: Michael went there as well, loved it.
A.: Wonderful, could you ask him to e-mail me suggestions?
Mom: Just call him, he'll tell all about it.
A.: My throat hurts! I don't want to call anyone!
Mom: He's the one who would be talking.

See, she just DOESN'T understand the concept, which is amazing since her throat hurt last week. The less I talk, period, the happier I am right now (spare me any snide comments about the happier you are, too). Besides, I take in information better by reading. Who wants to take down names of places to visit or stay, especially in a foreign language, over the phone?

Mom: Okay, I'll talk to him.
A.: Okay, goodnight.

No comments: