Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Phone call

My mother asked whether I had any trips planned. I'd answered that question on Thursday. She needn't worry about my going somewhere and not telling her, because I always tell her and send my itinerary.

Then she asked whether I was done with class yet. I said, relatively calmly, "I have answered that question at least four times. I finished class before I went to Canada. I have not been in class for over a month, and I've told you that multiple times because you've asked multiple times over the last month."

Mom: Well where were you last night then?
A.: I'd already gone to bed.
Mom: So early?

If I hadn't, she would have asked my why I wasn't in bed.

Yes, I sometimes turn off my phone before I actually go to bed, because I don't want to get into protracted conversations, but very rarely before 10pm, which by any standards is pretty late for a phone call, especially for someone who gets up at 5am.

Mom: What did you think of Taming of the Shrew?
A.: It was interesting.
Mom: Interesting?
A.: Yeah, it was okay.

I mean, I feel about the works of Shakespeare the way I feel about Mt. Everest-- they're good but mostly they're "there," and it's often not in line with my beliefs but it's a major pillar of Western civilization, and I don't believe in dealing with things I disagree with by ignoring them. I attempted to convey this in Russian and it mostly went over fine.

Mom: What are you reading?
A.: A short story collection.
Mom: By whom?
A.: Amy Bloom.
Mom: Who?
A.: You haven't heard of her.
Mom: Don't you want to read Bulgakov.
A.: I have it (it being the Master and the Margarita).
Mom: I know that, but don't you want to read it?
A.: Sure.

No comments: