Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Let's talk about the weather

A.: Hello.
Mom: You sound better.
A.: I do feel better today.

Although I did have to walk out once or twice during a conference due to a coughing fit. I'm prone to coughing fits (my mom had alluded to that), and while they can be embarrassing I don't mind them because they come at the end of a cold and I prefer them to consistently sore throat. Besides, the first fit came on because two large women sandwiched me in. First one sat down, taking over about a fifth of my chair, and then signaled to two other equally large women. One sat down next to me, squeezing me in from the other side, while the first woman continued to signal to the third woman that there was an available seat in the row in front of ours, shoving her arm in my face enough times that I actually confronted her about it (with an "excuse me.") More disturbingly-- and this was when there were still plenty of seats availaile, I saw/heard a young man tell an elderly woman with a cane that the two seats next to him were reserved, making her make her way to another seat rather than moving down in the same row so that he could eventually sit with his then-phantom friends. As for me, I returned from the coughing fit and during the break ran into a friend of mine, who whisked me into an uncramped row where I could breathe again. But I digress.

Dad: Is it warm where you are?
A.: No, it's quite cold.
Mom: You say that as if you're doing us this huge favor by talking to us.
A.: I do?
Mom: Yes. You don't elaborate. For example, what temperature is it?
A.: I have no idea. I just know it's cold.

I didn't realize I was expected to discuss the weather in-depth; I was about to ask them how they were, but my mother interrupted to criticize me for my answer.

Is it just me, or is that nit-picking?

No comments: