Thursday, October 4, 2007

Matter-of-fact name-calling down to an art

Mom: Igor and Elena [close friends of my parents that I saw a while back] were telling us what a wonderful impression you made on them. Igor said you were very genuine, that there was no artifice about you. I said you were intimidating. He said not at all.

A.: I'm intimidating? Whom do I intimidate?

Mom: Us, for a start.

Dad: Apparently you intimidate your mother.

Mom: And you, too (to my father).

Dad: No, she doesn't.

Mom: I think she does. Anyway, what have you been up to?

A.: Not much...

Mom: Nor us, we haven't been doing much of anything. It's been a bit boring.

Dad: Because we haven't been out to see any movies.

Mom: No, that's not why.

Dad: It's part of why.

Mom: No, it's not.

Dad: Have you been out to see anything?

A.: No, not recently...

Mom: No theatre?

A.: I'm going to see Taming of the Shrew tomorrow night...

Mom, Dad: What of the what?

A.: Taming of the Shrew... it's Shakespeare... "taming" means making an animal less wild...

Mom, Dad: Oh! [Taming of the Shrew! in Russian]

Mom: How do you spell "Shrew"?

A.: S-h-r-e-w.

Mom: Is that like, smart, discerning?

A.: No, that's "shrewd."

Mom: Oh. [Russian word for shrew]... that's like, someone who's... it's like, you.

A.: What??

Mom: Yeah, it's like someone who always has to be right, and also, this other thing you do... someone who thinks the world revolves around them...

Dad: Who's putting it on?

A.: The Shakespeare Theatre.

Mom: By the way, you're arriving on a Sunday?

A.: On a Thursday.

Mom: Right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Shrew, that's like you." LOL! That is HILARIOUS!!! Thanks for sending me your blog.
L-