Sunday, June 30, 2013

Sunday roundup: Part I

Sorry, guys; I wanted to get you Part I before I left, but I had to get biking, and made the right choice: it started pouring it down a few minutes after I got home. Anyway, here we go:

The colonial legacy in Bangladesh continues to haunt its justice system.

Wondering why everyone's rallying and rioting? Tom Friedman explains it all for you. As always with Friedman, though, take it with a grain of salt. To say "it's not about the 9 cents" (with regard to Brazil's bus fare increases) is to overlook what nine cents is to the people taking the buses.

Why hate freedom when you can celebrate?

The decline of car culture in this country.

Dudes have been right all along and there's no use denying it any more: it's all about them.


This is a stupid, stupid question. Eating healthily doesn't mean that every single thing you eat has to be healthy. If I go to a fast food restaurant (which, mind you, I don't), I want the fries, not the salad. If I want a salad, I'll make it myself.

***
I'll be back with the Post and maybe some other stuff later. It's that time of year... and I've dedicated most of the day to dealing with the CSA veggies. The bok choy has been sauteed into tofu scramble, as has some of the parsley; the chard and beet greens will be sauteed with vinegar and sunflower seeds, and plumped raisins if I can be bothered. No f*ing idea what I'll do with the kohlrabi, even though it was just featured somewhere (none of those ideas appeal to me). And I still need to figure out what to do with the fennel. Maybe I'll roast it.

No comments: