Monday, June 24, 2013

Monday evening roundup and rants

Can Mamphela Ramphele save South Africa?

Considering Snowden a refugee undermines the whole system for protecting refugees.

Marketers are finding that "meat" is a dirty word.

This poor guy. I wish I could make a joke--the situation begs for one--without doing so at his expense. I do have to ask: how does one crush one's testicles in one's sleep? Is that a thing?

Dear Abby('s daughter) has some f*ed up perspectives.

I can't believe this article on the economics of globalized cuisines left out Bruce Cost's "Asian Ingredients." And the plethora of Ethiopian places throughout the DC area. Which reminds me... where will I take my parents? Afghan? Ethiopian? Just about anything else (except Chadian... he's probably right on that one).

***
Speaking of restaurants, my "I'm sure they'll have a salad" coworker struck again, this time with a variation on the salad theme.

Coworker: By the way, I was at Vapiano, and the had plenty of vegan options.
A.: Oh, yeah. I've been there, but I wasn't impressed with their vegan options.
Coworker: Really?
A.: I had the pasta once and it wasn't very good.
Coworker: But they make everything right in front of you, so you could get a pizza and have them hold the cheese.
A.: I could, but why would I want to??
Coworker: Well, the vegetables are good.

So, I would get a salad, on bread.

A.: That's just not enough food. I'd rather go somewhere with real vegan options.

I should be touched that he thinks of me when he tries restaurants--that he thinks in terms of whether they have vegan options--but I don't seem to be able to get it through to him that the presence of vegan options does not equal good vegan options. Just because I can eat something, doesn't mean I'd want to.

No comments: