Monday, June 3, 2013

Monday evening roundup

The deal with democracy in Turkey.

I will not sign this petition, and, actually, I find it offensive. I think idiots should be able to say whatever they want--short of inciting violence--on TV without being fired, unless their employer doesn't want to be associated with their idiocy. But I don't want to live in a world where pundits get fired for saying dumb shit in public. I think Fox handled this very well, i.e., by giving Megyn Kelly a platform to respond. Those dudes have been held accountable; they do not need to be fired. We don't need TV police or social media police (unless it's hate speech/incitement of violence). Let those dudes broadcast their ignorance, and let people respond. Let those ideas be debated.

Speaking of journalistic freedom: Sarah Chayes' excellent points about the subpoena issue.

Speaking of idiots speaking freely: the Wall Street Journal's editorial page thinks it represents America.

Speaking of other idiots speaking freely--
I can't argue with that tweet from personal experience, since I certainly don't have the willpower to do a dissertation. But at least I'm not dumb enough to eschew carbs.

Oh, and the paleo diet is officially, scientifically misguided. Also scientifically misguided: David Brooks' claim that psychiatry had physics envy. On a quasi-related note, read about the relationship between experimental and theoretical physics (and tell me if that makes it any less of a science). 

As you know, the oceans are hurting. It is for that, not in deference to the first commenter and his invitation to "super-preachy vegans" (hyphenation is mine), that I am embedding this:

Also: ever wondered about crab sex? Sometimes the dudes have to prove themselves through a hug. They have multiple positions, too.

No comments: