Monday, June 24, 2013

Phone call

Dad: Could you just make sure that mom is comfortable?
A.: Of course. Any suggestions as to how to make that happen?
Dad: Just, you know, make sure she feels comfortable.
A.: Specifically?
Dad: I don't know. She likes to lie down after dinner.
A.: There is plenty of furniture for her to choose from. All of it is comfortable.
Dad: I mean, just generally. Make sure she feels at home.
A.: I don't know what you mean.
Dad: Just, generally.
A.: Okay.
Dad: Do you have any projects for me?
A.: Not really. I may ask you to figure out a better system for storing the vacuum cleaners and mop and broom. They're kind of in a corner in the utility room and I'd like to have them hang from the wall to have more room in there. I'm not quite sure how to best engineer it.
Dad: You could do what we do, which is have a vacuum cleaner in every corner of every room. The house is clean, but there are vacuum cleaners everywhere.
A.: No, thank you, and remember that you're not bringing me any crap.
Dad: Well, if we do, do what you will with it but just don't call it crap to her face.
A.: Do. Not. Bring. Me. Any. Crap.
Dad: Okay.
A.: And one way I will not make mom feel at home is by sticking vacuum cleaners in every corner.
Dad: You know what I mean.
A.: I don't, but we'll figure it out.

No comments: