Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Phone call

I resent my parents my itinerary this morning, so that there would be no confusion. I called to say hi before leaving. Mom went on. And on. And on. about RCN.

A.: Mom, I have very little time and my phone battery is going to go any minute now.
Mom: I'll make it quick.

Then she goes on and on about RCN, again.

It doesn't occur to her that dad might want to talk to, until he asks who it is and she invites him to pick up a phone.

Mom: What time are you leaving again?
A.: I sent you my itinerary this morning.
Mom: Well, that's on the computer.
Dad: I printed it out.
A.: Thanks.
Mom: Are you getting flooded?
Dad: She doesn't have a basement.
Mom: Oh, alright then.
A.: It hasn't rained that much here, anyway.

I wasn't as tense talking about flooding as I was listening to the phone saga, episode ten million. I did want to talk to my parents before I left. I just didn't want to listen to twenty minutes of phone drama.

Everyone's feeling chatty today: I stepped outside, and my neighbor and I talked for a good ten minutes about yard work. Bless him, he kept trying not to say "and $hit," kept saying "sh... stuff." Then a friend called to wish me a good trip. And it was good to talk to her. But I had to get organized. Not that one is ever organized. Although mom seems to think I am.

Dad: Are you completely ready?
A.: As much as I can be.
Dad: Wow.
Mom: You know her, she's efficient as these things go.

Wow. Mom gave me credit for something. That's a good note on which to go on vacation.

No comments: