Friday, March 26, 2010

Phone call

Keep in mind that the following conversation would not be funny if it were not for two facts:

(1) Mom has a long and eventful history with Verizon, particularly with regard to switching to them in response to alluring advertising.

(2) Mom makes a point of wanting to know where I am at all times.

***
Mom calls, and goes on, and on, and on, about how she switched from RCN to Verizon because you have to keep these companies on their toes or they'll raise prices on you, and Verizon had a great ad offering a great deal. Then she went on about how she had to spend hours and hours dealing with the new phone line.

Eventually, she asked me what I was up to this weekend. I told her I was mostly getting ready for my trip.

Mom: When are you leaving, the 4th?
A.: This Thursday.
Mom: Oh, this Thursday. By the way, I saw some inexpensive tour packages for Costa Rica.
A.: Oh, if you'd like to visit, keep an eye out--there are some inexpensive flights out over the next couple of months.
Mom: Oh, I can't go anywhere next week, I have so much to do...
A.: I'm not talking about next week. I'll be abroad next week.
Mom: Oh, that's right. Anyway, did you want to go to Costa Rica?
A.: I don't know--I don't know when I'll be able to take another vacation.
Mom: Well, think about it.
A.: Okay.
Mom: Oh, the 4th is Natasha's birthday--call her...
A.: I won't be able to call her, mom, I'll already be...
Mom: Oh, you'll already be on vacation?
A.: Yes. Wish her a happy birthday for me.
Mom: Okay, will do.

No comments: