Sunday, March 7, 2010

Alice indeed

Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland" is actually "Alice in Wonderland" meets "Chronicles of Narnia" meets "Lord of the Rings" meets "300" meets "Wizard of Oz," but I really enjoyed it. It could also be called "Don't Marry Him: The Case for Not Settling for Mr. Not Good Enough." Manola Dargis had actually called out a level of creepiness of the Mad Hatter's checking out Alice at one point, but is it lost on everyone that finally we have a strong female heroine who's action role isn't a vehicle for a skimpy outfit?

***
I recall an interview with Ricky Gervais, from years ago, where the interviewer asked him what he liked to eat in a cinema and he said he didn't: it's rude. Watch the f*ing movie. And I do have to say that while it's perfectly socially acceptable for people to crunch on popcorn and rattle candy wrappers in a cinema, it's still annoying, and I have to ask why we have to do it. Can't people go two hours without food?

***
One of the previews made me think, "if I want to see someone get hit in the balls, I'll just watch "Idiocracy.""

No comments: