Sunday, November 16, 2008

there she goes again

It’s one thing when my mother leaves me a bitchy message asking why I never call, within several days of our having spoken. It’s pointless and self-defeating, but it’s one thing.

It’s another, even more pointless thing, when she follows up such a message with an even bitchier message, an hour or so later (or any time frame in which it would have been unlikely that I could get back to her), expressing even greater annoyance that I haven’t returned the earlier message. How dare I be unavailable for a whole hour, on a Saturday night?

I called her back several hours later.

Mom: You haven’t called?
A.: Mom, I’ve been running around like crazy.
Mom: So? You could have called between running.
A.: Why? What’s the point? We spoke on Tuesday. I don’t have anything to say. If you have something to say, you can call me.
Mom: You’re not there when I call.
A.: But then I call you back. [And you devote the entire call to bitching about how I never call).
Mom: Why can’t you just call?

I reiterate what I’ve already said.

Mom: This conversation is over!
A.: Okay.

No comments: