Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Pick your battles, mom

Mom: So, I got this survey from JD Power and Associates, and it took me forever to fill it out, and then they asked me about my race and gender. I didn't fill that part out! But I feel like I have to respond. Can I just send it to them?
A.: Yes.
Mom: I also want to write to them and tell them that their surveys are too intrusive...

[A., to herself: ARE YOU F*ING KIDDING ME?]

A., out loud: Mom, they're not interested in you specifically. They have to ask about demographics.
Mom: I don't want to fill out any more of their surveys. I want to write to them [read: you need to write to them] and ask them not to send them anymore.
A.: You don't need to write to them. Just don't fill them out.
Mom: I don't want them to waste paper or postage.

[A., to herself: But you have no problem wasting my time?]

A.: Mom! Just send them what you already have and stop filling out their surveys!
Mom: But... the paper...
A.: Mom!
Mom: Fine.

***
Mom must be aware that I just bought a house.

It is natural, intuitive to infer that when one has just purchased a home, one is frantically busy with moving into that home and making it suitable for habitation.

Even if that were not natural and intuitive to infer, I told mom as much when she called yesterday.

So she called me tonight, at 9pm, at which point I was no longer technically frantically busy, but I was completely exhausted. And we've established that I don't appreciate being called at 9pm on weeknights anyway.

I can understand when it's something legitimate, like the Toyota situation (see earlier entry), but when it's about a survey??? ARE YOU F*ING KIDDING ME?

No comments: