Saturday, November 29, 2008

Great timing

I don't expect mom to not talk to me while I'm doing yoga, even though she's spoken out on the key role of concentration to yoga. But she's also spoken out on the key role of sleep to one's health, and I know better to expect that she won't wake me up in the middle of the night to express herself.

So, that much I know, and I knew when I opted not to get out of bed early enough I chose to forfeit the opportunity to do yoga without commentary or distraction. I knew I would have to tune mom out.

And I can deal with that. She talks, I ignore her.

The trouble comes when she inevitably asks me to do something incompatible with whatever pose I am doing. Sometime last year, I was in the middle of tree pose when she decided to ask me to water the plants; she threw a fit when I refused.

This morning, I was in windblown treepose when mom asked for my opinion on a picture frame. We hadn't been sure the frame would match the picture well, but last night dad and I looked at it and decided it was fine.

Mom: Do you think that matte clashes with the picture?
A.: No.
Mom: Look at it!
A.: I am not going to look at it. I am doing yoga. And I looked at it yesterday, I know what you're talking about, and no I don't think it clashes.

To her credit, she didn't throw a fit.
***

Later

Mom: You should try some exercises to tighten your chin. You're developing a double chin.

I ignored her.

I looked around for a paper bag for paper recycling, and my eyes caught an envelope on which she'd scrawled, in capital letters, "JDATE."

***
Meanwhile, Dad's war on taste and common sense with regard to food wages on.

Dad: I know what we can do to add flavor to the sweet potatoes: cover them in a layer of melted white cheese.
A.: Those flavors do not go together at all.
Dad: We can try it.
A.: I guess.

No comments: