Sunday, July 15, 2012

Sunday morning roundup


Biodiversity is a public health issue.

People do have a thing against cyclists. A former neighbor who's a judge told me as much when he talked about a case where the driver was clearly at fault, but "juries hate cyclists." I also noticed something was up when many people, hearing that I was hit by a car a few years ago, first asked whether I was on my bike (implying, perhaps unintentionally, that I was at fault pretty much for being in the way).

If anything, I find it easier to make friends in my 30s. But it's true, it takes several rounds to cement acquaintances with friends of friends, even amid the best intentions.

This article is about the bigger issue of the income gap between most couples and most single parents, but this part stuck out to me, as "why people stay in bad relationships" has been a frequent topic of conversation, all over the place:
Ms. Schairer has trouble explaining, even to herself, why she stayed so long with a man who she said earned little, berated her often and did no parenting. They lived with family (his and hers) and worked off and on while she hoped things would change. “I wanted him to love me,” she said.
In fact, I'm going to a gathering tonight where I'll surely hear a variation on, "I thought if we just..." Sigh.

Check out this DC-after-Dark photo slide show.

No comments: