Monday, April 4, 2011

Sigh: Response to Comment in Response to Comment

My point is, what's interesting to you isn't necessarily interesting to other people. I can talk budgets all day with people at work, but I'm not going to bore the f* out of people at parties by bringing them up. I might say, "work is crazy because it's budget time," just like one might say, "we're potty training." Fine. Allow me to present my personal, unauthoritative perspective on what does and does not make for acceptable conversation in mixed company:

Fine:
"It's so much easier to get around now that the little one is potty trained."
"My daughter loves school. Spanish is her favorite subject, and she's great at it."
"I don't have a lot of time for other stuff right now because it's budget time."
"I switched from clay kitty litter to cedar."

Not Fine:
"My kid's poop used to be this color, and now it's this color."
"My little Sienna is gifted in Chinese. She puts all the other kids to shame. Let me tell you what her teacher said about her..."
"Did you see what one agency requested for construction? Are they for real? Do they have monkeys in charge of their cost-estimating?"
"My cat is pooping so much more often now that I'm giving her wet food. Her poop is of a more interesting shape, too."

2 comments:

Hans Mundahl said...

Sure but the line between a nice potty training conversation and one concerning poop consistency may under some circumstances (circumstances made worse by lack of sleep, recent contact with poop of an entirely new and novel color / consistency / shape, or your average day care pickup procedure) be so difficult to discern that entire new fields of scanning electron microscopy and particle physics must be developed before the line can even be detected, and only then usually after one has already crossed it.

That's what I've heard anyway. It's never happened to me.

Tmomma said...

lol, i agree with your examples, but just wanted to let you know to never rule out poo as a topic of conversation when you have a newborn...:)