Sunday, April 17, 2011

Response to Response to Response to Comment

I wasn't accusing you of being indifferent to the havoc your son was wreaking. Just pointing out that when a child misbehaves, I'm not thinking, "that parent must be a terrible person;" I'm thinking, "my head hurts." I appreciate it when the parent makes an effort to ease the pain.

Please also understand that I'm sort of fed up with *people.* Metro riders, theater-goers, voters. People. I've already gone on about what they do. I've already admitted that I know I must infuriate other people, too. It's a part of existing in a society. Which makes me seriously consider, but quickly dismiss, the prospect of hermitude. After all, I prefer a theatrical performance where someone to my right is crunching hard candy, while the person behind me is explaining what just happened to her companion, and someone next to him is rattling papers in her purse, to no theater at all. I'm also in no position to criticize people who take up more than one seat, as I brought one such person to a performance not long ago. I wish I could bring her more often, but we were lucky enough to be at the end of a row that time, and we couldn't do that to other patrons if we ended up surrounded by other people. But here's what I will say: had someone needed to get past her during the intermission, she would have gotten up and gotten out of the row to let people pass. She wouldn't have shot people the look that I got last week, the one that said, "you want me to actually get up?" Yes. I'm sorry but you're not small enough for me to get by you otherwise.

But row etiquette is a distraction. It's annoying, but it's not necessarily rude.

Talking, chewing, crunching, and rattling is rude.

The people on the stage are pouring everything into this show. Do you have any idea what goes into a theatrical or dance performance? Can you appreciate the training, the concentration, the sharing of all one's energy and spirit? If you can, see if you can go one f*ing hour without eating, chatting, or rifling through your purse.

1 comment:

Tmomma said...

it's all good, i think we're on the same page. i'm fed up with work. i dread going tomorrow after being home with a sick kid most of last week. all the bad news keeps getting worse; if you ever thought it was bad while you were there, it's many times worse now and i just want out!