Saturday, April 16, 2011

I couldn't make this up

Keep in mind that this conversation is in Russian, and that my parents often have trouble recognizing proper names.

Mom: Where are you? Were you at the theater?
A.: I'm going to the theater now. But I was also at the theater last night.
Dad: What did you see?
A.: "Fragments"--some short pieces by Samuel Beckett.
Mom, Dad: Who?
A.: Samuel Beckett. You know, he wrote "Waiting for Godot."
Mom: What?
A.: "Waiting for Godot." You definitely know "Waiting for Godot."
Mom: What's it about.
A.: These two guys who... wait for Godot.
Mom: What guys?
A.: The two guys... waiting for Godot.
Mom: Why are they waiting?
A.: That's the point--
Mom: Who are they waiting for?
A.: Godot.
Mom: Why are they waiting for him?
A.: That's what the play is about--
Mom: Who wrote it?
A.: Samuel Beckett.
Mom: Why does that name sound familiar?
A.: Because I just told you I saw some of his short plays last night, which is why I was telling you about "Waiting for Godot."
Mom: Huh.

No comments: