Monday, April 18, 2011

Monday morning roundup

You can argue over whether or when war is justified, but it's never pretty.

It's never too late for accountability. Oh, and I'm a little slow so I need someone to help me understand the lawyer's statement. Specifically, how does torturing nuns help prevent the spread of communism? That connection may be obvious to some people, but I just don't see it.

Is quinoa kosher? Look, here's what I'm not consuming this week: wheat, rye, oats, or barley. For a macrobiotic, that's plenty. I know that Ashkenazis also avoid rice and legumes, but it's not going to happen. I got myself some injera, made some brown rice, and I'll be doing soymilk smoothies for breakfast.

The actual budget cuts (i.e. not most of them, which are on paper), which I don't want to discuss in detail, are horrifying enough--cuts to environmental programs, sustainable agriculture, etc. And we don't have time to waste on climate change. Even though the same urgency doesn't apply to cuts to the arts, it's still heartbreaking. DC theaters are experiencing huge cuts, and they're such a valuable gift to the community. It's not a life or death thing, but it's about our souls.

Forgive me the cheesiness, but this is really sweet.

No comments: