Thursday, April 2, 2009

Thursday morning roundup.

To complement the populist rage sweeping the nation, we have faux populism in the form of the exploitation of the how-will-this-affect-the-poor argument for commercial as well as political purposes, which I guess is not new. That's why I was so annoyed with that woman in the article about rising electricity rates. Well, I'm even more annoyed with the argument that "any fee on [plastic grocery] bags "is going to disproportionately hit low-income people, who are predominantly minorities." It gets better:
Council member Yvette Alexander (D-Ward 7) has heard from more than 100 constituents who expressed their opposition, as the automated calls urged. "I'm really angry that people are portraying this as something that hurts poor people when what they're really doing is defending their own industry," she says. "It bothers me that they're making this an economic issue when the real issue is the pollution in the Anacostia River."

Retorts Carrington: "That's so dismissive and disrespectful of the poor. It's easy to sit in an ivory tower and say that."
The nerve!

I've picked up trash from the Anacostia river, and I can tell you that it's really bad. Mr. Fisher closes his article by telling us that "Plastic bags make up 21 percent of the trash in the Anacostia River, no matter how the bag industry may try to cleave the District. Class dismissed."

What's even more frustrating about this is that there are so many things that do effect poor people disproportionately. Like pollution.

The Times brings up an opportunity for reform amid the downturn.

Can we take it as a good sign that we've drifted back toward "slump" and "downturn," and away from "meltdown" and other apocalyptic terminology?

***
I thought it was odd, when I was shopping for a washing machine, that the black version was more expensive, but apparently this is not unusual. That link is for the Post's buying guide for high efficiency washing machines.

***
Did you see Jon Stewart's interview with Seth Rogen, in which they agree that Jews can't stop talking about food? I'll link to it tonight. Colbert's interview that night-- about how Judaism really is a questioning religion-- was quite good, too.

Okay, my trail is ready, and so I'm off.

No comments: