Friday, April 10, 2009

More brazen

Zimbabwe's government tries a ponzi scheme approach to war crimes. That article reinforces my reaction to this statement from a Moldovan theatre director:
"Everyone knows that Moldova is the smallest, poorest and the most disgraceful country." Nice try, but there are a few countries that have got you beat.

On a less horrendous note, retailers complain that people aren't spending.

I have to be glib for a moment. As you know, this recession has called for balancing concern and compassion for those affected with annoyance at people who feel like they're entitled to make money all the time no matter what. So while it's unfortunate for the broader economy that people aren't spending, it's a good thing that we're reconsidering our consumerist, disposable spending culture.

Furthermore, as I've said in the past, some retailers (and service providers) shoot themselves in the foot. I'm still spending money, whether I want to or not, and some of them just don't make it easy. The other night I was about to place an order from Macy's website, but there was a glitch, so I called the number for online help, and they were closed (fair enough) so I tried online help, which basically asked me if I followed the steps in the right order.

Look, retailers: being fat sucks enough as it is. It also complicates dress shopping, and I need something to wear to this wedding. And I don't have a lot of time. It's now too late for me to order something online and hope it arrives in time to wear it in any case, much less exchange it or get something else in case it doesn't fit. Why are you making this so hard for me? First of all, Ann Taylor Loft-- when did your clothes get so f*ing ugly?? I stop shopping for six months because I bought a house, and next thing I go, your collection has gone from 'somewhat downhill from last year' to 'you couldn't pay me to wear this $hit.' Am I going to have to drive out to Tyson's Corner this weekend and actually try stuff on, when I should be thoroughly cleaning my house and planning what I'm going to bring?

Meanwhile, I'm in fight mode because I've had to spend time on the phone with my (a) bank; (b) credit card issuer; and (c) health insurance provider. (a) dared to charge me an account maintenance fee ($14!) even though my account is exempted on account of my mortgage with the bank, and this is the second time they've pulled this BS. And they're good about refunding it right away, but why do I even have to take the time to go in there and deal with it? (b) froze my account because of a charge by a foreign company. See, I had to charge the tips for the Galapagos cruise (I had $300 in my bank account when I left for that trip; I had no choice) and noticed that the tips for crew were charged but not the tips for the guide, so I contacted the company to get them to charge the rest, which they did. And Capital One (the no hassle card, I may add) froze my account. Which is fine, except that they didn't *tell* me. I just found out because I was locked out of my account online. (c) is taking it's sweet time paying me back for its part of my crown, and meanwhile, posting confusing and contradictory information on my online account about whether or not they'll cover the procedure. None of these are the end of the world because I know they'll get resolved, but they add up and it's pissing me off.

Perhaps it's also making me less inclined to spend. I must have traded in retail therapy for emotional eating somewhere along the way. And it's the hassle issue: when I'm fed up with fighting, I'm less inclined to undertake transactions that may in any way open the door to a future fight.

I know: it's a tough life-- two beach vacations in two months and life circumstances comfortable enough that looking like a whale at the beach is not actually the least of my concerns. No, I wouldn't rather be beaten up in Zimbabwe or unemployed in Moldova (or here for that matter), and I don't take it for granted that I'm not, which is why I'm aware that we only live once, so when my friends decide to get married on a Caribbean island, who am I not to partake in the festivities? And while I'm at it, it would be nice to look decent. Which I can't blame on the retailers... but they're not helping.

No comments: