Thursday, April 30, 2009

Closure

Tonight brought the resolution of two things I've bitched about on this blog. First of all, the roommate and I had the conversation. I was wondering whether it would be necessary, but he again exhibited signs of having no sense of when not to ask me questions. He's been helping me put up the pot rack--which is the second thing that's been resolved--and actually, he's been very helpful in general--it was just the talking that was driving me nuts. So I came home, said I'd go to the hardware store as soon as I had a quick dinner, heated up my quick dinner, and sat down to eat it, when he starts asking me about my day. The minute I put a forkful into my mouth. Asks me what I did at work.

So I got back and we finished the pot rack-- and it looks good (I won't say great, because the wood panels draw attention to the fact that my ceiling is uneven, and one of the bars has to be at a slight angle, but with the pots and pans hanging from it, you can hardly tell). I thought about how to bring up the whole please-don't-talk-to-me-when-I'm-reading-etc. thing, but I didn't have to, because to his credit, he did. He asked--since it's been a month--how he was working out as a roommate. I said great, except for the talking thing. I made it clear that it wasn't personal, that it's an issue of my being tired and also wanting to get things done, and that it wasn't that I was never up for talking, just not when I was in the middle of something. He totally understood and took it well, said to be completely honest when I'm not interested in conversation.

So, it's a happy ending of April: The roommate issue of the last few days has been resolved, I have a pot rack, and the roommate is paying attention to Gracie so I don't have to.
***

I thought about posting a made-up example of what my blog would read like if I based it on all the mundane details of my life, but I just couldn't do it. And the details of my workday are even more mundane. I love my job, and it has its share of really interesting moments. The highlight—as was the highlight of my previous job—is interviewing people and learning about different things. However, the job comes with more than its fair share of unglamorous, meticulous tasks, which I don’t generally complain about because (1) they’re necessary and (2) it would be insane to complain about a fulfilling, well-paying job and secure job. Nonetheless, as I may have mentioned on these pages, my workplace has been described, somewhat but not entirely unfairly, as ‘where fun goes to die.’ While I’m very proud of the report that we issued yesterday, which will be available to the public a month from now, it’s hardly interesting to anyone unfamiliar with the topic. It’s important, well-researched, and well-written-- for which I can take a tiny part of the credit due to a hard-working team-- but I challenge you to get past the first few pages without falling asleep. And if you think the report itself is uninteresting to 99 percent of the population, its lack of mass appeal is nothing compared to that of the excruciatingly meticulous process that goes into putting the report together and clearing it to get out the door.

My point is, if you ask me how my day was, I'll say 'fine' or 'okay,' because, believe me, you don't want greater detail.

1 comment:

Tmomma said...

some people could really stand to learn your second point. my days at work would be a lot easier.